Canadians select 30 exceptional ideas for positive change - announcing the 2013 Aviva Community Fund Finalists
Judging round now begins; winners to be announced January 28, 2014
TORONTO, Dec. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - After four rounds and over 2.5 million votes, Aviva Canada, one of the country's leading providers of home, auto, leisure and business insurance, is pleased to announce the finalists of the 2013 Aviva Community Fund.
"It's through voting that Canadians get their say on how we help create positive change across the country," said Debora Hendrickson, Senior Vice President at Aviva Canada. "We now rely on the expertise and insight of our panel of impartial judges."
The 2013 Aviva Community Fund judges include Etalk Anchor Tanya Kim, David Suzuki Foundation CEO Peter Robinson, Calgary Foundation President and CEO Eva Friesen, President and CEO of United Way Centraide Canada Dr. Jacline Abray-Nyman and author and journalist Bruce Sellery. The judges will review the ideas to decide which projects will receive full funding. For a complete list of judges, visit AvivaCommunityFund.org/about/judges. Winners will be announced January 28, 2013 on CTV's Canada AM.
Each of the 30 finalists are not only eligible to receive the full amount for which they applied, but every finalist not selected for full funding will receive $5,000 towards their cause.*
Created in 2009, the Aviva Community Fund is a competition that asks Canadians to submit and vote for ideas that create positive change across the country. Whether it's a project that will help get at-risk youth off the street and back into school, or other ways to extend a hand to those in need, the Aviva Community Fund enables individuals and groups to not only submit a community initiative for funding, but also become actively involved in making change happen. The Fund has already provided over $3.5 million in funding to 61 charities and community groups including youth programs, animal shelters, public schools, camps and centres for those affected by disabilities or illness.
Aviva Canada congratulates the finalists, listed below by province:
- Let's Play Together! Evans Elementary Community Playground (Chilliwack)
- Courtney & Skye Buck Memorial Courtyard at Raft River Elementary (Clearwater)
- Project Ecole Mt. Prevost: Let's Get Moving! (Duncan)
- North Island Wildlife Recovery Association (Errington)
- Palsson Playground Improvement (Lake Cowichan)
- Community Playground at Qayqayt (KUH-KITE) - (New Westminster)
- Youth4Tap Windermere (Vancouver)
- Saint-André Playground Project (Beaumont)
- Help Rebuild Alberta Flood-Ravaged Camp Gardner (Calgary)
- Shelter from the Storm (Edmonton)
- I Am Awesome! Self Esteem & Empowerment Retreat (Emo)
- The Cultural Café Project: Jobs for the Visually Impaired (Markham)
- Vincent Massey Kindergarten Playground Renewal (Ottawa)
- Give All the Paws at LAWS a New, Safe Home! (Smiths Falls)
- Make a Splash for Stacey (Sundridge)
- WesForYouthOnline.Ca.......It's Okay to Ask for Help! (Walkerton)
- Une nouvelle cour d'école pour Gaston-Pilon! (Boisbriand)
- Donnez un toit à notre piscine! (Quebec City)
- Le parascolaire contre le décrochage scolaire au Paul-Hubert (Rimouski)
- Refuge Anni-maux (St-Bernard)
- Help Us Help Animals by Completing Our New Shelter! (Dalhousie)
- Aidez à la construction du refuge - Help Build the Shelter (Edmundston)
- Be Their Best Friend (Moncton)
- A Low Cost Cat Spay and Neuter Program in Saint John (Saint John)
- The St. Margaret's Bay Skate Park Project (Hubbards)
- Greyhound Pets of Atlantic Canada Society (Musquodoboit Harbour)
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Change Islands Newfoundland Pony Sanctuary (Change Islands)
- A Beagle's Dream (St. John's)
Prince Edward Island
- Souris Playground for ALL (Souris)
- Youth Engagement Centre for At-Risk Youth (Summerside)
About Aviva Canada
Aviva Canada is one of the leading Property and Casualty insurance groups in Canada providing home, automobile, recreational vehicle, group and business insurance to more than three million customers. The Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc and has more than 3,000 employees, 25 locations and 1,700 independent broker partners. Aviva Canada and its employees invest in positive change including through the Aviva Community Fund and Eva's Initiatives, its partner in Aviva's global Street to School program to help homeless and other at-risk youth reach their potential.
*If the finalist idea is not selected for full funding, it may be required to direct their $5,000 in funding towards a registered charity or established group doing similar work in their community.
SOURCE Aviva Canada Inc.For further information:
Senior Manager, Public Relations & Social Media, Aviva Canada Inc.
Mobile (416) 523-3225, Desk: (416) 288-2685