Province Hits High Note with Ontario Music Fund
Government Supporting Ontario-made Music to Grow the Economy, Create Jobs
TORONTO, Oct. 28, 2013 /CNW/ -
Ontario is launching the Ontario Music Fund to help support and create jobs, and position the province as a leading destination to record and perform.
The new fund will support Ontario-based music companies and boost music production and distribution through four streams:
Music Company Development - Helps Ontario-based music companies increase recording, production
and marketing, which boosts sales of music and supports job creation.
Music Industry Development - Provides support for initiatives such as digital innovation, music
training and new approaches to increase home-grown music exports.
Music Futures- Helps leverage Ontario's diverse and emerging music industry by
supporting small music companies and artist entrepreneurs, for example
those who create music and also handle the business and promotion of
- Live Music- Helps increase the number of live music events in the province and generates more opportunities for new and emerging local artists — boosting tourism and growing local economies.
Helping the province's music industry and artists grow and succeed is part of the Ontario government's plan to invest in people, invest in infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
"Our government is proud to partner with our music industry through the
new Ontario Music Fund that will capitalize on our infrastructure,
critical mass and competitive edge to drive economic growth and
jobs. Home to the largest and most diverse music industry in the
nation, we are committed to amplifying our success on the world stage
and place Ontario on the map as a cultural and creative capital."
— Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"Ontario has proven itself as a powerhouse competitor with other
jurisdictions across a wide range of creative industries. The Ontario
Music Fund will help us to build an even stronger music industry in the
province and to ensure that our music continues to reach global
— Kevin Shea, Chair, Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC)
- Applications are now available for the Music Company Development and Music Industry Development streams. Applications for Music Futures and Live Music streams will be available Nov. 7, 2013.
- Announced in the 2013 Budget, the Ontario Music Fund is a $45 million grant program over three years.
- The Ontario Music Fund will be administered by the new Ontario Music Office located within the Ontario Media Development Corporation.Ontario's music production sector accounts for over 80 per cent of total national revenues — in 2011, it generated more than $429 million in revenues (Statistics Canada).
- The Ontario Music Fund supports the province's Live Music Strategy to position the province as a leading destination for live music and music tourism.
The Ontario Music Fund
Disponible en français
SOURCE Ontario Media Development CorporationFor further information:
Jasmine Gill, Minister's Office, 416-325-1759
Charlene Millett, Communications Branch, 416-314-5502
George McNellie, OMDC Communications, 416-642-6619