Media Advisory - Ottawa dermatologists to host skin cancer screening at Nepean Sportsplex on Saturday, October 26, 2013
OTTAWA, Oct. 18, 2013 /CNW/ - On Saturday, October 26, 2013, Ottawa dermatologists and dermatology residents will be hosting a free skin cancer screening event to educate the public on the importance of early detection and prevention for all skin cancers. Participants will also learn how to conduct at-home skin cancer self-examinations.
|Who:||Dr. Simone Fahim, Ottawa dermatologist, Canadian Dermatology Association|
|What:||Skin cancer screening and early detection awareness event Interview & Photo Op|
|When:||Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.|
Nepean Sportsplex, Hall F (Entrance #2, Second Floor)
1701 Woodroffe Avenue, Ottawa, ON K2G 0C4
|Why:||To create awareness about importance of early detection by conducting regular at-home self-exams|
- Research shows that 53% of melanoma skin cancers are discovered by the patients themselves and a further 17% by their family members.
- Early detection of skin cancer leads to a 90% or higher cure rate.
- There were 2,500 new cases of melanoma diagnosed in Ontario last year, with 420 deaths.
Other relevant information:
- Digital photos of skin cancers will also be made available upon request
- Skin cancer statistics and fact sheets will be available on-site
- Dermatologists will be available for interviews during the event
SOURCE Canadian Dermatology AssociationFor further information:
Laura Craig, Communications Coordinator
Office: 613-738-1748 ext. 299