Rogers to invest more than $700 million in Alberta over the next four years
Rogers to further expand network infrastructure and retail presence across province
Commitment to province also includes a multi-year sponsorship of the Edmonton Oilers and investment in local communities through Rogers Youth Fund
TORONTO, Oct. 1, 2013 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications, Canada's leading diversified communications and media company, announced today a planned investment of over $700 million in Alberta over the next four years. Starting this year, Rogers will further upgrade and expand its wireless network throughout the province, open additional retail locations, sponsor the Edmonton Oilers and further increase its contributions to local communities and youth initiatives. This four year commitment follows a decade long growth strategy that has seen Rogers invest over $1 billion in network enhancements and expansions across the province of Alberta.
"For the past ten years, we've made strategic investments that help fuel Alberta's growth and empower Canadians to communicate, collaborate and compete," said Rob Bruce, president of Communications Division, Rogers Communications. "Today's commitment to further enhance our network infrastructure, retail presence, and investment in community and sports, will give Albertans even more access to innovation and the latest technology, while strengthening the province's economy and our communities."
Rogers' four year, $700 million investment in Alberta focuses on:
- Investing in network enhancements and expansions across the province - increasing our overall coverage sites by 40 per cent and rolling out Rogers LTE - Canada's fastest wireless internet - to even more communities such as Leduc and Chestermere, launching soon. Currently, residents of Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray and other key markets already benefit from Rogers' LTE - Canada's fastest wireless internet;
- Opening dozens of new retail locations to offer more customers access to technology and customer service, while also creating more job opportunities across the province. By the end of this year alone, a total of 12 new retail locations will have opened in 2013;
- Delivering next generation business solutions to Alberta's business community, particularly in the oil and gas sector, including innovative machine-to-machine and connected solutions;
- Driving growth in Alberta enterprise businesses by delivering expanded data capacity, managed data and cloud services through strategic investments including the recently announced acquisition of Pivot Data Centres in Calgary and Edmonton operations for $155 million;
- Supporting Canadians' passion for hockey with a multi-year agreement as lead sponsor of the Edmonton Oilers under which Rogers has acquired the official sponsorship and marketing rights for the Oilers, Oil Kings and Rexall Place. As the official telecommunications sponsor of the team, Rogers will bring fans the ultimate connected fan experience powered by Rogers LTE network - Canada's fastest wireless internet;
- Empower communities and invest in Alberta's youth through partnerships between the Rogers Youth Fund and local Boy and Girls Clubs, the Calgary Bridge Foundation for Youth and the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation.
"Rogers is committed to helping Alberta's youth gain the skills, tools and opportunities that will enable them to build a bright and prosperous future," said Bruce. "Success at school is the first step. The Calgary Bridge Foundation for Youth and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Alberta help equip youth with, not just the skills needed for success, but the support, leadership and encouragement to develop healthy lifestyles and a passion for learning."
About Rogers Communications
Rogers Communications is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless voice and data communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high speed internet and telephony services. Through Rogers Media we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, sports entertainment, and digital media. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI). For further information about the Rogers group of companies, please visit rogers.com.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Statements, Risks and Assumptions
This release includes "forward-looking information" within the meaning of applicable securities laws and assumptions concerning future investments and the closing of an acquisition as detailed above. We caution that all forward-looking information is inherently subject to change and uncertainty and that actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking information. A number of risks, uncertainties and other factors could cause actual results and events to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking information or could cause our current objectives, strategies and intentions to change, including but not limited to various regulatory approvals. Many of these factors are beyond our control and current expectation or knowledge. Should one or more of these risks, uncertainties or other factors materialize, our objectives, strategies or intentions change, or any other factors or assumptions underlying the forward-looking information prove incorrect, our actual results and our plans could vary significantly from what we currently foresee. Accordingly, we warn investors to exercise caution when considering statements containing forward-looking information and that it would be unreasonable to rely on such statements as creating legal rights regarding our future results or plans. We are under no obligation (and we expressly disclaim any such obligation) to update or alter any statements containing forward-looking information, the factors or assumptions underlying them, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. All of the forward-looking information in this earnings release is qualified by the cautionary statements herein.
SOURCE Rogers Communications Inc.For further information:
Rogers Communications Inc.