Keep severe weather preparedness top of mind to keep your family safe
HALIFAX, Sept. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - With tropical storm Gabrielle expected to hit Atlantic provinces with heavy rainfall today and over the weekend, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) reminds Canadians to prepare to protect your family and home.
"Tropical storms are powerful and often strike hard and with little warning. They can have a devastating impact on communities and property. Individuals and families can prepare themselves against their vulnerability to severe storms by taking some simple precautions before disaster strikes," says Amanda Dean, IBC's Vice-President, Atlantic region.
In an average year the Canadian insurance industry pays approximately $1.7 billion in claims due to water damage. This makes it even more critical to protect your family and home with a few easy steps.
Consider some of these severe weather preparedness tips:
- Create an emergency preparedness plan for your family
- Assemble a disaster safety kit
- Prepare a detailed home inventory
- Check with your insurance representative to make sure you have appropriate coverage
- Remove valuable items from your basement to higher levels in your home
- Make sure down spouts are clear to direct water way from the home
- Secure any loose patio furniture or barbecues
- Install a sump pump or sewer backup or backflow valve
- Elevate furnaces, hot water heaters and electrical panels in the basement or relocate
- Have someone check your property if you are away
For more information on hurricane preparedness view our YouTube video:
If you have questions contact your insurance representative or IBC's Atlantic Consumer Information Centre at 1-800-565-7189 ext. 227, Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 118,600 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $46 billion.
If you require more information, IBC spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.
SOURCE INSURANCE BUREAU OF CANADAFor further information:
To schedule an interview, please contact:
Media Relations Officer
Insurance Bureau of Canada
416-362-2031 ext. 4312