School is in session – Drive with caution
THORNHILL, ON, Aug. 30, 2013 /CNW/ - The Labour Day long weekend marks the unofficial end to summer and the return to school. Come Tuesday, over 2 million students will head back to the classroom. That is why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers to slow down in school zones and watch for flashing bus lights.
CAA SCO tips for drivers:
- Always check for children on the sidewalk, driveway and behind your vehicle before backing up
- Remember to slow down in school zones
- Be ready to stop at all times because children may dart out between parked vehicles
- Try to make eye contact with children waiting to cross the street
- Come to a complete stop for school buses when lights are flashing
- Watch for children riding a bike to school
CAA SCO tips for children:
- Stop before stepping onto the road
- Look in all directions before crossing the street
- Listen for traffic
- Walk, don't run, across the road
CAA SCO bus safety rules:
- Be at the bus stop on time and avoid running to or from the bus
- Wait for the bus in a safe place that is a good distance from the side of the road
- Use the hand rail when boarding or exiting the bus
- Keep feet out of the aisle to avoid tripping people as they enter and exit the bus
- Keep your head and arms inside the bus
- Always follow the bus driver's instructions
Currently, there are over 55 police services, more than 800 schools and over 20,000 elementary school students involved in the CAA School Safety Patrol program. CAA School Safety Patrollers dedicate over 3.45 million volunteer hours each year helping their fellow classmates get to and from school safety.
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering roadside services, automotive care, travel and insurance. There are more than 1.9 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and over 5.6 million members in Canada. We're more than Roadside Assistance. We're Life-side Assistance.
SOURCE CAA South Central OntarioFor further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.