New Brunswick farmers invited to turn in obsolete pesticides for safe disposal
ETOBICOKE, ON, Oct. 22, 2012 /CNW/ - Farmers in New Brunswick are being invited to turn in their obsolete or unwanted agricultural pesticides for safe disposal this fall.
From Oct. 22 to Nov. 2 farmers can drop off their unwanted pesticides at participating ag retailers free of charge. The program, which comes to each province every three years, is operated by CleanFARMS, a national industry-led agricultural waste stewardship organization.
"Farmers are passionate about what they do and they're equally passionate about protecting the environment along the way. CleanFARMS is pleased to provide this environmentally safe way for farmers to dispose of their unwanted or obsolete agricultural pesticides," says Barry Friesen, general manager of CleanFARMS.
New Brunswick farmers have a long history of good stewardship practices. Since 1998 they've returned more than 17,490 kilograms of obsolete pesticides. After collection, the pesticides are taken to a licensed waste management facility where they are disposed of through high temperature incineration.
"This is a fantastic program for farmers and for the province as a whole. The agricultural community is committed to doing its part to protect the environment and I think the participation in this collection will really highlight that," says Gerry Gartner, chief operations officer of the Agricultural Alliance of New Brunswick.
Farmers are invited to return all of their obsolete or unwanted agricultural pesticides in a secure container with the product label attached. This program is strictly for agricultural pesticides; adjuvants, fertilizers, treated seed, paint, solvents and domestic pesticides will not be accepted.
Collections will take place at the following locations from Oct. 22 to Nov. 2:
- Clair - Sylvite Agri-Services Ltd. (495 Main St)
- Drummond - New Denmark Trucking Ltd. (194 Drummond Station Rd)
- Florenceville - McCain Produce Inc. (8734 Main St.)
- Fredericton - Co-op Home & Farm Supplies (317 St. Marys St)
- Gagetown - Applemanfarms Ltd. (16 Fox Rd)
- Grand Falls - Grand Falls Agromart Ltd. (38 Després Rd)
- Hartland - Hartland Agromart Ltd. (40 Industrial Dr)
- Moncton - Co-op Atlantic Farm Supply (33 Henri Dunant St)
- Moncton - South Eastern Farmers Co-op (200 Collishaw St)
- Saint John - Halifax Seed Co. Ltd. (664 Rothesay Ave)
- Salisbury - Cavendish Agri Services Ltd. (3030 Fredericton Rd)
- Sussex - Sussex Co-op (25 Union St)
For more information, visit www.cleanfarms.ca.
SOURCE: CleanFARMS(R)For further information:
For media inquiries, please contact: