Numerous Contraband Seizures at Port of Entry
CORNWALL, ON, Oct. 2, 2012 /CNW/ - During the past several weeks, the Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF) made or assisted in contraband seizures in the following regions:
- 7 seizures at Cornwall's Port of Entry
- 11 seizures in South Glengarry, Ontario
These seizures resulted in the arrest of twelve (12) individuals who face charges under the Excise Act 2001 and/or the Provincial Tobacco Tax Act for possession of a tobacco product not properly stamped:
- Evita STACEY (age 28) from Akwesasne, NY
- Joseph LEAF (age 63) and Kandy PIERCE (age 19) both from Akwesasne, ON
- Conner KOULA (age 18) and Jason CRAWFORD (age 19), both from Chateauguay, PQ
- Michael MORENCY (age 21) from Montreal, PQ
- Melanie BRISEBOIS (age 26), Joseph MAHEUX (age 55), Jason DURNION (age 39) all from Cornwall, ON
- Sonny LACOMBE (age 22) from Grenville, PQ
- Robert BERTRAND (age 59) from St. Eustache, PQ
- Kevin BOUCHER-LAFRAMBOISE (age 21) from Beloeil, PQ
Eight (8) seizures which occurred in the South Glengarry Township resulted in no charges being laid. The contraband product was located along the shores of the St. Lawrence River at unoccupied residences.
- 10 vehicles and one (1) boat seized as conveyances.
- 10,900 re-sealable bags each containing 200 contraband cigarettes
- 500 cartons of DK branded contraband cigarettes
- approximately 343 kilograms of fine cut tobacco
- $1,000 CDN
For photos please visit: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/on/news-nouvelles/index-eng.htm
If you have any information regarding criminal activity in your area, you can contact the CRTF at 1-613-937-2800 or call Crime stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
The CRTF is a joint forces partnership that includes the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Canada Border Services Agency, Ontario Provincial Police and the Ontario Ministry of Finance.
SOURCE: Cornwall Regional Task ForceFor further information:
Sgt. Lee Côté
Sgt. Kristine Rae
Ontario Provincial Police