Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada announces 2012 nominees
WINNIPEG, Oct. 2, 2012 /CNW/ - Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada, Canada's global voice against child sexual exploitation, announced the nominees for its annual, national, bilingual media awards today. The awards program, in its 10th year, honours journalists and documentary makers for exceptional coverage of issues related to child sexual exploitation. "Media exposure of child sexual exploitation issues is integral to ending this global scourge," said Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada president, Rosalind Prober. "On the 10th anniversary of the awards," she added, "their importance continues to grow as well as the quality and depth of the entries."
The 2012 nominees are as follows:
- Catherine Solyom, Sex trade: The girls next door, Human trafficking is a hidden issue that's hard to prove: Penalties often light when predators are convicted, The Montreal Gazette, July 2012
- Tanya Hvilivitzky and Carolyn Mullin, The Underground World of Trafficking Humans, Niagara Magazine, May/June 2012.
- Tu Thanh Ha, Case highlights undercover world of catching a pedophile, Globe and Mail, May 16, 2012.
- Alison Langley, Special Report: Danger Lurks Online, Niagara Falls Review, May 12, 2012.
- Jason van Rassel, Protecting the public from sex offenders: Abduction raises questions of how sex offenders are monitored, Calgary Herald, September 26, 2011.
- Trevor Wilhelm, Windsor man serving 110 years in jail for soliciting sex online, The Windsor Star, April 14, 2012.
- Daphne Bramham, The chilling reality of sex tourism, The Vancouver Sun, September 17, 2011.
- Caroline Montpetit, Prostitution juvénile-une traite qui ne profite pas aux jeunes filles, Le Devoir, July 10, 2012.
- Kathleen Frenette, Le Net est une mine d'or, La Maison de Sabrina, Sites Internets ébranlés, Journal de Québec, October 31, November 1, November 2, 2011.
- Diana Swain, Timothy Sawa, Angela Gilbert, Scout's Honour, CBC's the fifth estate, October 21, 2011.
- Diana Swain, Timothy Sawa, Angela Gilbert, The Lost Boys, CBC's the fifth estate, February 17, 2012.
- Larry Day, Theo Fleury: Playing With Fire, Pyramid Productions, May 9, 2012.
- Maureen Palmer, Sext Up Kids, Doc Zone: CBC Television, February 23, 2012.
- Caroline Van Vlaardingen and Karla Kaminski, Dirty Little Secrets, CTV News Montreal, October 24, 2011.
- Michel Jean, Cyber-predateurs dans la mire, TVA, October 28, 2011 March 1, March 2, March 6, and March 7, 2012.
Integrated Media (English)
- Daphne Bramham, Stolen Innocence, Vancouver Sun, March 2011.
- Ashley Wills, Prostitution #YXE: Underage sex sells in the city, News Talk 650, July 19, 2012.
The 10th anniversary of the Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada Media Awards takes place on Monday, November 19, at the Fort Garry Hotel, located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Sheldon Kennedy, former NHL player, child rights advocate and sexual abuse survivor, will be honoured with the inaugural Rosalind Prober Award for his fight against child sexual exploitation.
About Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada
Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada is a national non-profit organization that advances the rights of children to be free from sexual exploitation. It is the Canadian representative of ECPAT International (End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes) operating in 75 countries around the world. For more information, please visit: beyondborders.org.
SOURCE: BEYOND BORDERSFor further information:
Media Contact: Rosalind Prober, 1-204-793-7080