Press release no. 22 - September 4, 2012 general election - Final advance polling figures: 16,61 % of the electors registered exercised their right to vote
QUÉBEC, Sept. 1, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - Mr. Jacques Drouin, Chief Electoral Officer of Québec, wishes to announce that 980 498 electors exercised their right to vote in the advance poll by using the various methods offered to them between August 24 and August 30. This total corresponds to 16,6 % of the total number of electors registered prior to the special revision, which also ended Thursday. This total number includes the data concerning the "traditional" advance polling, namely on August 26 and 27. It also includes the vote at the domicile of the elector or in a residential facility. Finally, the total includes the vote at the office of the returning officer, for the electors who voted in the electoral division where they were or for those who voted at distance in the riding of their domicile, using the vote outside their electoral division.
In comparison, 11.7 %.of the electors exercised their right to vote in the advance polling, at the general election of December 2008.
It may be interesting to characterize the participation of electors according to the voting method that they chose:
- 821,165 electors (13,9%) voted at a "traditional" advance polling station, open on Sunday, August 26 or Monday, August 27.
- 81,823 electors (1,3%) exercised their right to vote in polling stations set up in retirement homes or in homes for people having mobility problems, or at their domicile:
- 65,555 people voted on «august 26 and 27 at the advance polling station set up on site in recognized residential facilities.
- 9,734 electors unable to move about voted upon request in various residential facilities (hospitals, rehabilitation centres, residential and long-term care centres and retirement homes having fewer than 50 residents), on August 24, 25, 28, 29 and 30.
- 6,034 electors unable to move about for health reasons voted at their domicile during the same period.
- Finally, 78,010 (1,3 %) people exercised their right to vote at the office of the returning officer on August 24, 25, 28, 29 and 30:
- 61 559 electors took advantage of the vote at the office of the returning officier of their electoral division.
- 16 451 electors voted at the returning officer's office where they were, to exercise their right to vote at distance in the electoral division of their domicile, using the mechanism of the vote outside the electoral division.
"It is worth noting that for the present general election, one out of six electors already exercised his right to vote. They led the way to all the others who are now invited to vote on September 4", emphasized the Chief Electoral Officer, Mr. Drouin.
The counting of the votes of the advance polling will take place on election night, namely September 4, in each of the 125 electoral divisions of Québec. The vote outside the electoral division will be counted at the main office of the Chief Electoral Officer in Québec City.
A table indicating the turnout rates for each electoral division of Québec is available on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer at the following address: www.monvote.qc.ca, by clicking on the "Participation rates of advance polling" link, on the right side of the home page.
SOURCE: Directeur général des électionsFor further information:
(418) 644-3320 or 1 888 870-3320